Tuesday 1 July 2014

Asanda's inspiration

'Lil' Shaun Odwa Mshini talks to Asanda "Ceejay" Daraza, a Chintsa local, about life in Chintsa township, her studies in Social Work, what has inspired her to educate herself, and her thoughts on volunteerism.
________________________________________________________________________


Asanda Daraza 
Shaun: Who is Asanda Daraza?

Asanda: I was born in Gauteng in 1992, and when I was three years old I moved back to Eastern Cape.  I am the second born: I have two half siblings, a sister and a brother, and I have an older brother who is a waiter at Prana Lodge.  I did primary school at Chintsa East Public School, and then Byletts for high school.  After Matric I took a ‘gap’ year and I worked with Nokuphumla (Pakamile) at her Preschool.  Then in 2011 I applied for admission to Fort Hare University, East London Campus, and I started in  2012.  Now I’m doing my third year in Social Work!


I’m loving it.  I’ve also started doing my internship.  What inspired me to become a social worker is what I saw in Chintsa: there is a need for social workers.  There are no social workers in Chintsa.  It was also my dream of building my own children’s home, after taking care of many children around the township.  And after the Friends of Chintsa and other individuals started taking care of them, like feeding the children, then I decided that it was time for me to go back to school and study.  That was in 2012.

That’s my life – I grew up here in Chintsa!  I’ve had a great life, many friends.  Even you, Shaun, we used to play together.  We were ninjas and we played at Karate!

Asanda visits Nokuphumla's creche
Shaun: If you had to look ten years back, what changes have happened in your life?

Asanda: Well, I would say back then I didn’t have any white friends!  Then I started meeting a lot of people, like Mr. Brown for example – then things started to change.  I started to learn about different people, because I didn’t know anything.  I was just, like, Ok I only knew my own culture.  I didn’t know anything about other people.  That’s the biggest change for me.  I’ve become a better person because now I know what I want in life.  Back then I didn’t know what I wanted to do because I didn’t know that I wanted to be a social worker.  I was just, like, I don’t know, like the other kids: an actress?  An astronomer?  I wasn’t sure what I wanted to be. 

Shaun:  What can you say about the interventions in township life, from the local businesses, our organisation Friends of Chintsa, the Chintsa East community, as well as Government: their involvement in Chintsa township and challenges it faces – what can you say about the impact these organisations and businesses have had on the people and life of Chintsa township? 

Asanda:  The organisations are doing a great job.  I remember back in 2002, the township was, something, I don’t know.  The people were doing bad things like stealing, like, from the white people.  And then, like, getting arrested, killing others!  And then after the organisations came in, the Chintsa community tried to help the people in the township, things got better.  People started learning new skills: they were never aware of the skills, the abilities, and the resources they had.  But now they know that, Ok these are the resources that we can use to empower ourselves.  Now they are really empowered, because of the organisations.  That’s what I think.

Shaun:  So how many years do you have left in your studies?

Asanda: I’ll be graduating in 2016.

Shaun:  And then you’ll be looking for a job somewhere?

Asanda:  Yes.  But I’m good at volunteering.  I’m not really looking for a job yet.  I’m not sure I want to get a job right after school, like become a social worker and sit in my office.  I just want to do something.  I just want to volunteer first before earning a salary.  Because I think volunteering is so much better than working for money, because when you work for money, you’re like Ok I’m working for this kind of salary so I’m not going to do a good job for this small salary.  It’s true!  But when you’re passionate about something you can just volunteer.  I’ve volunteered all my life.  I love volunteering.  It’s good.

You know some people have asked me – a lot of things have happened in the township: people drop out of school – so people ask me, “What kept you going?”  Really, I don’t know what kept me going.  Maybe it’s my parents, my dad.  He was not a good parent, but he was always there, trying to make sure I go to school every day.  That was the good thing about him.  And yes, now I’m doing my third year and he is no longer around – he died five months ago.  Which still hurts, but at least he left me with something.  He left me somewhere.  I’ve become a better person, and I’ve learned a lot from him.


Asanda with her uncle
Shaun:  So who supports you with tuition and fees?

Asanda:  No one from my family is helping me.  I applied for a loan.  But someone else who also encouraged me to go to Varsity and apply for the loan is Mrs. Swayi.  She was my Grade One teacher at Chintsa East Public School.  She was the only person who behind me and who was there to support me to apply, to do everything.  When I took my ‘gap’ year she was the only person who was concerned about me not doing anything that year.  She took me to a college in town, but it didn’t work out because it wasn’t a registered college!  She was concerned that I would get a certificate that wouldn’t get me anywhere!  So she decided to let me take a ‘gap’ year and help Phumla at the preschool, and do other things for the community.

Shaun:  Who else has been a good support over the years?

Asanda:  Kate and Nadine they are really there for me.  When I need something I just go to them.  They are the only people who are always there for me.  Also Mr. Brown – he’s also been the guy who has always been there for me.  Then there are also the people I met and the experiences I had working with them: Sharon Edworthy of African Angels School, who I worked with just before African Angels moved to its new premises, and of course Phumla!    Also Janet and Alicia at Unexplored Adventures, where I was a camp instructor. 

That’s my life!

Shaun: So far!

Asanda: Yeah!

Shaun:  The story unfolds….

No comments:

Post a Comment